Professional brushes made with care and expertise, need quality upkeep to maintain their integrity. Just as you would look after your own hair, it is essential to give the same love and attention to your artisan brush collection.
The following cleaning tips detail the ideal way to prolong the life and quality of your brushes.
The cleaning process
1. Opt for an antibacterial gentle cleanser/soap/ shampoo to remove any bacteria picked up during use, followed by a conditioner. Refer to "Expert Tip 3". We recommend you use the Merton Muaremi "All Natural Brush Soap".
2. Lightly dampen the bristles in lukewarm water, being careful to avoid getting water on the rest of the brush, as this may cause damage over time.
3. Use a combination of circular and sweeping motions in the palm of your hand to lather the bristles with your preferred brush cleanser, before gently rinsing the brush bristles of any residue.
4. Post-wash: Gently squeeze any excess water out of the bristles with your fingertips or paper towel, before softly moulding the brush bristles back into its original shape.
5. It's essential to cover your Blush (optional), Buff, Highlight (optional) and Blend brushes with a brush guard to help retain the natural shape and protect the mixed fibres. Slide the brush guard up the handle and over the brush bristles.
6. Allow your brushes to air-dry on a towel overnight after washing and applying the brush guard. Let the bristles and ferrule (metal part of the brush attached to the bristles) hang over the edge of the counter to eliminate excess water. Once dried, slide the brush guard up and off the brush. Fluff up the brush bristles by tapping the handle gently on your hand. (It is not recommended to dry your brushes in direct sunlight as this may loosen the glue in the handle).